Empowered by God's love and use for chocolate teapots like me!

Wednesday 31 October 2012

Halloween musings ...

wow when you look around the internet and chat with friends does any other celebration cause so much debate. For one evening it seems to cause hours of thinking, decision making and stress, whether you choose to celebrate it or not.

So Halloween, what are my thoughts, for what they are worth.

Firstly no one ever has the right to judge, to tell people Christians or not that they are wrong to do what they do, we are all answerable to God and make decisions based on what we feel is right.

Halloween for me is an opportunity. I hear so many people screaming at that statement that to want to embrace Halloween is so very very wrong. But when else do we get to talk so openly about good and evil, when else do we get to talk about light and darkness, when else do we get such an amazing opportunity to go ok so I don't like dark magic but let me tell you about some real magic about something amazing! Jesus answers the door to those who knock, do we? How do we respond to them? Do we slam it in their face and walk away?

So as a family we don't choose to trick or treat or go out of our way to celebrate Halloween but we don't stop others doing it. Does that mean we are sitting on the fence, no. I would never want to stop enjoying magical things, to be aware of the spiritual amazing side of life, to be able to see miracles and go wow that was magical. I know so more traditional perspectives would argue that even the words magical are sinful but to me they are a whole part of what I believe of the power of God. However I also believe that it is so very wrong to belittle evil, to make fun of it to pretend it is something insignificant and to be laughed at. Evil is powerful and devious and it worries me the view and attitude children have towards it and the rise of the spiritualist churches around where we are.

My issues with Halloween are not with those who enjoy and celebrate it, however far the get into it but with the wickedness that uses what seems like harmless things and turns them into darkeness. So I think for me and my family it will be lots of dressing up through out the year, lots of fun throughout the year, lots of awareness of the amazing things God can do and the real magic and on Halloween simply oppertunities and time as a family to thank God for the good he gives us.

No comments:

Post a Comment