Empowered by God's love and use for chocolate teapots like me!

Sunday 25 November 2012

Judgement time ...

I was sitting last night chatting to hubby about the things that had been big for me that day and I had been bothered by a family who's priorities just didn't seem right to me but I became agitated at some of the things my husband said and I used the age old phrase that we shouldn't judge others. We chatted a bit more and I wandered off to bed but I needed to think more about this and pray about that phrase I so readily used, did I really think or believe that?

Matthew 7:15 makes if pretty clear that judging others is not a good thing to do and that we should reserve our judgements for ourselves. This on the outside might seem like a fairly easy thing to do, sure just be nice about everyone and you'll be fine but in reality judging someone is not just being nice or not about them verbally. We all make judgements, saying something is ok is making a judgement as well as saying something is not ok.

When we make a judgement about someone, just that little thought, it alters our behaviour. We might wear different clothes, say different things, act differently based on how we have judged that person. We might choose to go to something or not based on whether that person and their behaviour will be there. We will struggle to have open and honest relationships with someone we have negatively judged in some way or another. If they have acted in a way that you have judged to be wrong you might find it hard to include them again or to encourage them to be involved.

Yet the bible also says we need encourage and show others the right path. This is hard to do without first judging that what they are doing is sinful. So how do we go about judging in the right way? Is it ever right? This is something I struggle with as for me I would very rarely want to make judgements about someone as it doesn't sit right but horribly find myself thinking negative thoughts about some people's behaviour and it can really affect me when I see what they are doing is hurting others. But if we don't judge and try and help people see the right way through God then people won't find peace.

 Isaiah 59:8: "The way of peace they know not; and there is no judgement in their goings: they have made them crooked paths: whosoever goeth therein shall not know peace." 

So many times I have heard people say it is not our place to judge, its Gods and this is so true. But that shouldn't stop us but simply our judgements should always and consistently come from God, be biblical issues not personal preferences, be worked through together with the person in humility.

God is not telling us not to judge but to judge rightly. To always always start with yourself and only ever judge someone else with a view to helping them grow closer to God. We have to continually judge our own thoughts, actions and motives to see that we are following what Christ has asked us to do, in the same way through love and fellowship we 'judge' others to help them, never in malice, never gossip but in a deep spiritual way that encourages them. If Christians believe in the truth of the bible then it is important that we apply it in situations without condemning each other for being judgemental however how we do it is key.

I started by saying that making judgements alters our behaviours. When we judge in the wrong way it alters our behaviour in the wrong way. When we judge ourselves in the right way it alters our behaviour in the right way. When we judge others in the right way it alters both our behaviours in the right way.

The biggest issue in this though is not how we judge others it is how open are we to the right judgements? How open am I to someone coming and saying look I think you are going a little wrong there? This is one of the hardest things to accept as the natural thing to do is to take it on a personal level as a friend criticising something you are doing that you may or may not have a problem with. I know I internalise things way to quickly and way to personally. Down the line I usually come around to seeing God in what was said and the true purpose behind it but if I was able to do that sooner it would save a lot of hurt. So how open are we to others making the right kinda judgements on us through God? How often do we listen for the words of God through our fellow Christians instead of struggling along in our own ways. We must be willing to be accountable in our faith and in our actions.

Want to finish with a story that is so true amongst so many churches and I am sad to say often mine. The author is unknown. It just highlights to me the need to judge with Christ in your heart, thoughts and words and that how we are with those we meet everyday should always always point to Christ and encourage them in the right direction not put a full stop in their journey by saying your not good enough to be here.


It was a cold winter's day that Sunday. The parking lot to the church was filling up quickly. I noticed as I got out of my car that fellow church members were whispering among themselves as they walked to the church. As I got closer I saw a man leaned up against the wall outside the church.
He was almost laying down as if he was asleep. He had on a long trench coat that was almost in shreds and a hat topped his head, pulled down so you could not see his face. He wore shoes that looked 30 years old, too small for his feet with holes all over them; his toes stuck out. I assumed this man was homeless, and asleep, so I walked on by through the doors of the church.
We all fellowshipped for a few minutes, and someone brought up the man laying outside. People snickered and gossiped but no one bothered to ask him to come in, including me. A few moments later church began.
We all waited for the Preacher to take his place and to give us the word, when the doors to the church opened. In came the homeless man walking down the aisle with his head down. People gasped and whispered and made faces. He made his way down the aisle and up onto the pulpit he took off his hat and coat. My heart sank. There stood our preacher ... He was the "homeless man." No one said a word.
The preacher took his Bible and laid it on the stand. "Folks, I don't think I have to tell you what I am preaching about today." Then he started singing the words to this song.
     "If I can help somebody as I pass along.
      If I can cheer somebody with a word or song.
      If I can show somebody that he's traveling wrong.
      Then my living shall not be in vain."

No comments:

Post a Comment